Stir fried anchovi fish with coconut flakes is a traditional fish preparation of the South Indian state Kerala. This is a popular fish preparation which can be enjoyed with steamed rice. This is considered as a healthy dish as it contains less oil . You can try this.
- Anchovi Fish – 500 grams
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Ginger – one medium sized piece ( peeled and cut into cubes )
- Green chillies – 7-8 nos
- Curry leaves – 2 stems
- Shallots / small onions – 4-5 nos
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic- 3-4 cloves chopped
- Pot Tamarind – 3 pieces
- Salt to taste/as needed
- Clean the Anchovi fish with crystal salt and wash it neatly. Crystal salt is used to remove the odour from the fish.
- Wash and soak pot tamarind in 1/2 cup of water for about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile crush grated coconut, ginger, garlic ,green chillies, curry leaves, shallots and turmeric powder using mixer grinder for just 1 or 2 blend using very less water.
- Now mix the fish with the blended mixture and add salt and the soaked pot tamarind with the water into it. Add some curry leaves on top of it . Keep it in a medium flame till it starts to boil. Then reduce the flame to low and cook it covered for about 10 to 12 minutes or till almost all water is evaporated or the fish is nicely cooked. Do not stir it in almost all water is evaporated or the fish is nicely cooked. Do not stir it in between with a spoon. Just leave it covered until it’s cooked. Once cooked add little coconut oil for taste.
The dish is now ready to be served with steamed rice.