By Lila Jose
Mousakka is a delicious Greek dish made with eggplant, minced meat ,white sauce, cheese and spices.
- 2 egg plants cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- Ground Boneless Chicken 400gm
- Tomato Puree 2 1/2 cups
- Garlic 1 tbsp
- Onion 2 medium chopped
- Dried oregano 1 tsp
- cinnamon powder 1/2 tsp
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil For Bechamel or White sauce
- skimmed milk 21/2 cups
- Butter 2 tbsp
- Flour 2 tbsp
- Mozarella cheese 1/4 cup
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan and fry the eggplants until golden brown, place on a paper towel to absorb extra oil.
- Heat oil n a large pan. Add chopped onion and ground chicken and saute for 5 min, breaking up chicken with a wooden spoon.Add tomato puree,and the rest of the spices and simmer for 10- 15 min.(till the sauce is thickened slightly and the flavours have combined)Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper
- To make sauce
- Melt butter in a pan,whisk in flour and cook for 2 min. stirring constantly so that no lumps are formed.slowly whisk in the milk, season with salt and pepper and simmer till thickened. Melt in mozarella cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 180degree
- Take a shallow oven proof dish and layer it with the fried egg plants
- Spread the chicken mixture over the top
- Spoon the white sauce over it.
- (optional. can sprinkle grated cheese over this)
- Bake for 30-45 min. or till browned and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 min,
- Garnish with coriander leaves before serving.